2017 LIGO e-Lab Workshop at U of Mn
June 13-14, 2017
Physics and Nanotechnology Building, Room 120
Participating teachers will be able to:
- Plot and interpret data recorded by LIGO seismic instruments; address limitations in the data.
- Make claims based on evidence from LIGO data and provide reasoning.
- Describe the connections between LIGO seismic data and classical physics wave concepts.
- Explain the importance of LIGO seismic data in a gravitiational wave search.
- Develop a plan to implement material from the workshop in an educational setting.
Times and specific activities are subject to adjustment.
Tuesday 13 June
09:00 Coffee, Registration, Sign-in
10:45 Exploration of LIGO e-Lab:
13:00 Seismology and Interferometer Review
14:15 Search and analyze in e-Lab data:
15:00 Begin research
16:00 Review day
16:30 End of Day
Wednesday 14 June
09:00 Coffee, Sign-in and Reflection
09:30 Gravitational Waves presentation
10:45 Continue research
12:00 Working Lunch
13:30 Finish posters
14:00 Present posters
14:30 Implementation discussion
15:00 Reflection: write/discuss
16:00 End of LIGO e-Lab workshop
We'll meet again tomorrow & Friday to
7:30pm Webcast: The Truth in in