Different Frequency Bands in DMT
Dale Ingram of LIGO sent a nice description:
- 0.03 - 0.1 Hz -- Large distant quakes (>6.5); the seismic effects of strong local winds.
- 0.1 - 0.3 Hz -- Large distant quakes (>7); microseisms (from ocean waves).
- 0.3 - 1 Hz -- Nothing of note. This is the quietest band, with no significant environmental drivers other than small shallow nearby earthquakes.
- 1 - 3 Hz -- Heavy vehicles at distances up to several miles from the site; distant industrial activity; small shallow nearby earthquakes.
- 3 - 10 Hz -- Vehicle traffic, local human activity at the observatory.