World Wide Data Day
World Wide Data Day 2021: Wednesday, 01 December, 00:00-23:59 UTC
Small URL for this page: http://tiny.cc/w2d2.
LHC World Wide Data Day is a 24-hour span, midnight-to-midnight UTC, in which students from around the world can analyze data from the Large Hadron Collider and share results via an ongoing, 24 hour videoconference with physicist moderators taking shifts in locations around the world.
Rules for participation:
LHC-W2D2 is designed primarity for high school students. Thus
- Student teams can be of any size and should be made up of high school students.
- Each student team must have an adult supervisor, preferably a physics teacher.
- Other possible supervisors include physicists or university-level physics students.
- University or research laboratory faculty, staff, or students may participate either as supervisors of high school students, advisors/assistants to teachers, or videoconference moderators.
- High school students should not register: all registration should be done by teachers or other supervisors as described above for the teams.
- Unfortunately, no certificates for students, teachers, or others will be available from QuarkNet for World Wide Data Day. Any certificates must be generated and used locally.
On or before the date above, groups will meet to analyze data using one of the recommended measurements below. All analyses will be of open, public data from the Large Hadron Collider. After data analysis, each group uploads its results at least 30 minutes before the pre-assigned time of their videoconference. Videoconferences are on Zoom unless otherwise specified; they are up to 30 minutes long and consist of up to 5 groups plus moderators. Videoconferences will follow this format:
- Connection and introductions
- Discuss results and experiences, team-by-team
- Summary by moderators
Get the information and the materials you need
Recommended LHC measurements:
- Intro slides
- Tally sheet (Google Doc) (Word) (Open) (PDF)
- Local Google Sheet ← teacher makes copy for students to report results online
- Worldwide Google Sheet ← teachers only - for worldwide combination of results
- W2D2 measurements: Discussion for Teachers
- About detector geometry
- Interview with moderator Andrea Gozzelino of INFN
- Teacher notes
Messages for group leaders from W2D2 Coordination:
Learn more about the LHC, the detectors, and the physics
Get the word out
- Download the flyer for students.
- Download the press release.
- Visit @physicsIMC.
- Have students tweet W2D2 with hashtag #physicsimc. You can too!