World Wide Data Day
World Wide Data Day 2023: Date TBD (October or November), 00:00-23:59 UTC
Small URL for this page: http://tiny.cc/w2d2.
Registration is now closed. To request late registration, please send an e-mail.
LHC World Wide Data Day is a 24-hour span, midnight-to-midnight UTC, in which students from around the world can analyze data from the Large Hadron Collider and share results via an ongoing, 24 hour videoconference with physicist moderators taking shifts in locations around the world.
Rules for participation:
LHC-W2D2 is designed primarily for high school students. Thus
- Student teams can be of any size and should be made up of high school students.
- Each student team must have an adult supervisor, preferably a physics teacher.
- Other possible supervisors include physicists or university-level physics students.
- University or research laboratory faculty, staff, or students may participate either as supervisors of high school students, advisors/assistants to teachers, or videoconference moderators.
- High school students should not register: all registration should be done by teachers or other supervisors as described above for the teams.
- Unfortunately, no certificates for students, teachers, or others will be available from QuarkNet for World Wide Data Day. Any certificates must be generated and used locally.
On or before the date above, groups will meet to analyze data using one of the recommended measurements below. All analyses will be of open, public data from the Large Hadron Collider. After data analysis, each group uploads its results at least 30 minutes before the pre-assigned time of their videoconference. Videoconferences are on Zoom unless otherwise specified; they are up to 30 minutes long and consist of up to 5 groups plus moderators. Videoconferences will follow this format:
- Connection and introductions
- Discuss results and experiences, team-by-team
- Summary by moderators
Get the information and the materials you need
Recommended LHC measurements:
- Intro slides - revised for 2022
- Tally Sheet (Word) (PDF) - revised for 2022
- Local Google Sheet 2022 ← teacher makes copy for students to report results online
- Worldwide Google Sheet 2022 ← teachers only - for worldwide combination of results
- Teacher Q&A
- About detector geometry
- Interview with moderator Andrea Gozzelino of INFN
Messages for group leaders from W2D2 Coordination:
- Memo 0, 25 Oct 2022
- Memo 0.5, 26 Oct 2022
- Memo 1, 28 Oct 2022
- Memo 2, 02 Nov 2022
- Memo 3, 04 Nov 2022
- Memo 4, 07 Nov 2022
Learn more about the LHC, the detectors, and the physics
- Large Hadron Collider (CERN page)
- ATLAS website
- CMS website
- What is CERN?
- LHC: The Large Hadron Collider (Don Lincoln)
- The Standard Model (Don Lincoln)
Get the word out
- Download the flyer for students.
- Download the press release.
- Visit @physicsIMC.
- Have students tweet W2D2 with hashtag #physicsimc. You can too!
Archive from 2021 and earlier:
- Local Google Sheet 2021
- Worldwide Google Sheet 2021
- W2D2 measurements 2020-21 Discussion for Teachers
- Memo 0, 04 Nov 2021
- Memo 1, 12 Nov 2021
- Memo 2, 16 Nov 2021
- Memo 3, 23 Nov 2021
- Teacher notes 2020
- Memo 4, 29 Nov 2021