Workshop at William and Mary
August 7, 2017
9:30 - 10:00 Coffee and conversation
10:00 - 11:30 Josh talk
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch
12:30 - 2:30 discussion of scientists hardships articles
2:30 - 2:45 break
2:45 - 5:00 brainstormed and sharing our lesson plans
August 8-9, 2017
Participating teachers will be able to use the LIGO e-Lab to:
- Plot and interpret data recorded by LIGO seismic instruments; address limitations in the data.
- Make claims based on evidence from LIGO data and provide reasoning.
- Describe the connections between LIGO seismic data and classical physics wave concepts.
- Explain the importance of LIGO seismic data in a gravitiational wave search.
- Develop a plan to implement material from the workshop in an educational setting.
Times and specific activities are subject to adjustment.
Tuesday August 8
09:00 Coffee, Registration
10:00 Gravitational Waves presentation
11:00 Interferometer activity
13:30 Exploration of LIGO e-Lab:
14:45 Search and analyze in data:
16:30 End of Day
Wednesday August 9
11:00 Create posters
13:00 Poster presentations
13:45 Implementation plans
14:30 Final reflections
15:00 End of workshop