|Year 1 - At each Center during the first year two lead teachers join the project. Their support includes up to $10,000 per teacher:
- Research appointment stipend - $500 per week for eight weeks
- Travel and subsistence to attend one-week session at Fermilab and for a teacher who works away from home (can include trips to CERN or Fermilab for beam-tests, etc.)
- Up to $1,000 total for travel
- $500 per week for room and board
|Year 2 - During the second year on average 10 new teachers join each group bringing the total to 12 at each Center. Grant support includes up to $1,500 per teacher:
- Staff development stipend - $500 per week for a three-week Associate Teacher Institute (based on daily attendance)
|Years 3+ - Teacher support beyond the second year includes:
- Staff development stipend - up to $500 per week for the equivalent of a one-week follow-on (based on daily attendance)
- Center Support Grant
|Other - If unobligated funds remain after the summer in a given year, we can support any of the following:
- Time spent beyond 3.5 days by lead teachers during the school year planning Year-2 institutes.
- Travel/room and board to attend QuarkNet activities. e.g.:
- Reunions held concurrently with American Association of Physics Teacher meetings held each August and January.
- A weekend meeting at Fermilab (may interest associate teachers and others that may not have seen the facilities.)
- Equipment and supplies for teachers' use in the institute or for classroom transfer activities.
|Graduate Credit - QuarkNet offers optional graduate credit in natural science and mathematics through Aurora University, Aurora, IL with whom Fermilab has an ongoing agreement. The current cost is $100 per credit hour paid by the enrolling student.
- The eight-week appointment through the "TRAC Teacher Research Program, NSM 5408" carries 4.5 hours of credit. Sample Summer Syllabus
- The three-week institute through the "QuarkNet Teacher Institute II, NSM 5062" course carries 6 hours of credit.
- The one-week follow-on through the "QuarkNet Teacher Institute III, NSM 6208" course carries 3 hours of credit. Sample Summer Syllabus
Teachers must choose between "QuarkNet Teacher Institute II" and "QuarkNet Teacher Institute III."