Agora Online Charter CMS Masterclass
Tiny URL for this page: http://tinyurl.com/ag-mc14.
This page will serve as your guide to the CMS Masterclass. Please check it regularly, as it will be updated in the coming weeks.
Step 1: Preparation
Here are two web sites you can study at home that will help you prepare:
- The Particle Adventure - each of you should follow a path in this award-winning website to report what you have learned to each other and to generate questions for your conversation with a physicist (below).
- The CMS Masterclass website - study the home page (nice videos!) and the WZH path page, since that is what you will do.
Meeting as a class online, you can follow up on the Particle Adventure and then have a conversation with a particle physicist by Vidyo.
- Mass Calc Z, in which you use vector addition, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum along with a little Einstein to figure the mass of the Z boson, a particle so short-lived that we cannot detect it directly. (We can detect the particles into which it decays...and that is our hook.)
- Top Quark Mass, which is similar to Mass Calc Z but enables you to find the mass of the even more elusive top quark.
Step 2: Begin
We will hold a 1-2 sessions online from between 9 am to 2 pm ET as part of the science education forum at Notre Dame on March 1. The highlights for the Agora group:
- Presentation and practice to analyze actual CMS data yourself
- Tour of Notre Dame particle accelerators - we'll see if we can make this a live Vidyo event
Watch this space for more details!
Step 3: Analyze Data at Home
After Step 2, you will have what you need to analyze the data online from home. You can do a little every day or get it all done in one sitting: you have 100 CMS events to analyze before March 15.
Step 4: Masterclass Videoconferences
On Saturday March 15, we will connect on Vidyo twice. Here is your tentative agenda:
02:00 pm discuss results and generate 1-2 questions about results from Buffalo
03:30 pm masterclass videoconference (login 15 min early)
Who ya gonna call? Contacts: