2016 Cosmic and CMS e-lab Workshops @ KSU
Cosmic Ray Workshop Aug 8-10 2016
“Our mission is to create opportunities for teachers and students to explore the nature of scientific research. Using cosmic ray muon detectors, students design and perform experiments to analyze data employing the cosmic ray e-lab.”
- Organize data using the cosmic ray muon e-lab
- Specify limitations and assumptions of a proposed experiment.
- Manipulate apparatus using appropriate data acquisition equipment for calibration, characterization, and analysis of measurements.
- Generalize from data possible sources and scale of experimental error.
- Summarize and communicate claims, evidence and results to demonstrate the nature of scientific research.
- Implement plans to use the cosmic ray e-lab with the classroom community.
Monday 8 August 2016
9-9:15 am Brett DePaola, KSU Physics Interim Head
9:15 Assemble CRMD: assist by QN Staff
10:15 Finish build and set geometry
1:00 Intro to EQUIP
Plan study type to collect overnight data
3:30-4:15 pm Tim Bolton: The Cloud Chamber
4:15 Reflections and discussion of the day's activities
Take Data overnight.
Tuesday 9 August 2016
8:30 Coffee/Intros(if needed)//Reflections
9:00 CR elab
Upload overnight data
10:30-noon Prof Brian Washburn has very kindly agreed to talk about light.
1:00 Work on Study
3:30-4:15 pm Tim Bolton: The LHC
4:15 Reflections of the day's activities
Wednesday 10 August 2016
8:30-9:15 Coffee and review of previous day's activities
9:30 Present Posters for CR Study.
10:15 Build Cloud Chambers
1:00 Finish Cloud Chambers
4:00 Teachers bring/share classroom ideas/activities
430 Reflections of day's activities
Tour of Laser Lab
CMS Objectives Aug 11-12 2016
CMS e-Lab Workshop participants will:
Thursday 11 August 2016
09:00 CMS Talk (Tim Bolton) ?
10:15 Intro to CMS e-Lab: A first look
11:00 Level 1 Data Portfolio Activity: Mass of the Z
13:00 Level 2 Data Portfolio Activity: CMS Data Express
14:00 Begin Level 3 Data Portfolio Activity:
15:00 End of day reflection/discussion
15:30 QN Teacher Survey
16:00 End of Day
Friday 12 August 2016
08:30 Coffee, Recap, Reflect
09:00 Group work:
14:00 e-Lab user group discussion
14:30 Implementation plans
15:15 Evaluation/Looking Forward
16:00 End of workshop