COSMICA Workshops 2018
Small URL for this page: http://tiny.cc/cosmica18eng.
CMS Outreach and Science for Masterclass Institutes Collaborating in the Americas (COSMICA) is a program to grow collaboration between particle physics groups and physics teacher groups at the University of Notre Dame and several institutions in Mexico, led by Universidad Iberoamericana (“Ibero”) in Mexico City and Universidad de Colima in Colima. The program in 2018 will focus on collaboration in:
- Particle physics theory and phenomenology
- The CMS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN
- Outreach and education through International Masterclasses in physics
- Outreach and education through cosmic ray studies.
Schedule, November 2018
|Datos y Horas||Actividad||Locación|
|Mon 5 Nov, 16:00-18:00||
Particle Physics Seminar (M. Hilldreth et al)
Students and faculty of Universidad Iberoamericana
|Tue 6 Nov, 16:00-18:00||
High School teachers and students from Mexico City and Queretaro state
|Wed 7 Nov, 16:00-18:00||
High School teachers and students from Puebla
|Fri 9 Nov, 09:00-12:00||
High School teachers and students from Colima
|Sat 10 Nov, 09:00-16:00||Ibero y Prepa Ibero|
Schedule, January 2018
Additional research collaboration will take place at Universidad de Colima, 8-18 January in the Dual CP Institute of High Energy Physics.
|Date and Times||Activity||Location|
|Thu 11 Jan, 14:00-18:00||CMS masterclass at school (1) - Prepa Ibero and Thomas Alva Edison||Ibero|
|Fri 12 Jan, 09:00-16:00||CMS research workshop (2)||Ibero|
|Sat 13 Jan, 09:00-10:00
|breakfast reception for physicists and teachers (3)
CMS masterclass for teachers (4)
|Sun 14 Jan||day off|
|Mon 15 Jan, 08:00-12:00||CMS masterclass at school - Prepa 5||Prepa 5|
|Tue 16 Jan||travel|
|Wed 17 Jan, 09:00-16:00||CMS data workshop for teachers 1 (5)||Colima|
|Thu 18 Jan, 08:00-12:00||CMS data sorkshop for teachers 2||Colima|
|Fri 19 Jan||travel|
|Sat 20 Jan, 09:00-16:00||Cosmic ray workshop for teachers (6) - Prepa Ibero, Prepa 5 (UNAM) and Thomas Alva Edison||Ibero|
- CMS masterclass at school is a short workshop that QuarkNet physics educators and particle physicists bring to Mexico City high schools that enable students to learn about particle physics and analyze real data from the CMS experiment at CERN.
- CMS research workshop is an event in which experimental particle physicists from ND, Ibero, and other institutions can inform each other about their research programs and involvement in the CMS experiment and discuss possible avenues of collaboration.
- The reception is an informal get-together for high school physics teachers and particle physicists.
- CMS masterclass for teachers is a chance for teachers to learn the data analysis students do in CMS international masterclasses as well as engage in some preparatory activities that they can do with their students.
- CMS data workshop for teachers is a similar to #4 above but has more activities and goes more in-dpeth over two days.
- Cosmic ray workshop for teachers uses the QuarkNet cosmic ray detector at Ibero as well as the QuarkNet cosmic ray e-Lab for a select group of teachers who will lead their top students in cosmic ray research
- Carlos Alvarado, University of Notre Dame
- Alfredo Aranda, Universidad de Colima
- Salvador Carillo, Universidad Iberoamericana
- Kenneth Cecire, University of Notre Dame
- Antonio Delgado, University of Notre Dame
- Mike Hildreth, University of Notre Dame
- Cristina Oropeza, Universidad Iberoamericana
- Christine Santoyo, University of Notre Dame Mexico City Global Gateway
- Fabiola Vazquez, Universidad Iberoamericana
- Mitchell Wayne, University of Notre Dame
- Jeremy Wegner, Winamac Community High School