Fermilab moderators 2018
CERN, 40-S2-C01 - Salle Curie...Monday 5 February 2018...11:00-13:00 CET...Indico page.
FNAL, WH1E - One East...Monday 5 March 2018...14:00-15:00 CET...Indico page
Fermilab Masterclass Moderation Schedule
|Date/time CT||Measurement||Institutes||Moderator(s)||Support||Location||Indico page|
|Fri 09 Mar/14:00||CMS||Rio de Janeiro, Quincy||Adelman||WH7XO|
|Sat 10 Mar/14:00||CMS||Baltimore, South Bend A, New Brunswick||Malik||WH1E|
|Mon 12 Mar/10:00||CMS||Manila, New Jersey schools||Suarez||WH6NW|
|Thu 15 Mar/14:00||ATLAS||DeKalb, Stillwater B||Norberg||WH2NW|
|Fri 16 Mar/20:00||CMS||Auckland, Winamac, Mexico City A||WH1E|
|Sat 17 Mar/14:00||ATLAS||Santa Cruz, Mayaguez||Martinez||WH1E|
|Sat 17 Mar/15:00||CMS||Quito, Williamsburg, Boston, Northbrook, Mexico City B||Malik||WH1E|
|Sat 17 Mar/19:00||CMS||Honolulu, Shanghai||Malik||WH1E|
|Wed 21 Mar/20:00||CMS||Fukuoka, South Bend B, Qingdao||WH1E|
|Sat 24 Mar/14:00||CMS||Fairfax, Minneapolis||Albrow||WH2NE|
|Sat 24 Mar/15:00||ATLAS||Medellin||WH2NE|
|Mon 26 Mar/12:00||CMS||Rochester||Albrow||WH1E|
|Fri 06 Apr/09:00||CMS||Santiago de Campostela, Rossville||Suarez||WH7XO|
|Fri 06 Apr/14:00||CMS||Manhattan KS||Chakraborty, Hall||WH7XO|
|Sat 07 Apr/14:00||CMS||Hammond, Mexico City C||WH8XO|
|Sat 07 Apr/15:00||ATLAS||Stillwater C, Seattle||WH8XO|
|Sat 14 Apr/15:00||CMS||Knoxville, Buffalo||WH7XO|
|Fri 27 Apr/14:00 (español)||ATLAS||Bucaramanga UIS, Santiago de Chile, La Plata, Bogotá||WH7XO|
|Fri 18 May/14:00 (español)||ATLAS||Bucaramanga UAN, Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, Lima, Cuzco||Gerber||WH7XO|
Access to student results:
|ATLAS Z-path||CMS WZH-path|
|OPloT||CIMA-Student (open)||CIMA-Admin (login/pwd needed)|
Basic Videconference Plan
Times and number of Institutes will vary. Revision anticipated by end of Feb 2017.
|Time from start||Item||Remarks|
|-00:15||Moderators arrive; institutes log in||test and establish video and audio connections|
|+00:00||Start||introductions of moderators, institutes, map; warm-up questions|
|+00:05||Institute 1 results||moderator presents; questions and comments|
|+00:10||Institute 2 results||moderator presents; questions and comments|
|+00:15||Institute 3 results||moderator presents; questions and comments|
|+00:20||Combined results||moderator presents; questions and comments|
|+00:25||Q&A||moderators take questions from students|
|+00:40||Videoconference ends||time varies|
Suggestions on how to be an effective Masterclass moderator:
You might know most of this already...but we still need to remind ourselves. Please send in items to add to this list.
- Speak clearly and succinctly
- Show your sense of humor
- Avoid explanations: draw ideas from students and then help them
- Encourage students to speak up, give their views, and back them up
- Mind the schedule
- Be friendly
- It is alright to disagree...with mentors, students, or each other
- Let students get a feel for how you see data and analysis
- Be familiar with the Masterclass measurement
- Show your enthusiasm
- Work as a team
Ask these questions of the students:
- Where are the peaks in the Mass Histogram? What do they represent?
- Where is Z boson in the plot? What are the other peaks, then?
- Do you have possible Higgs events in your plot? Where? Can we claim discovery?
- (CMS only) What do you expect the ratio of electron events to muon events to be? Is your result consistent with this?
- (CMS only) What is the ratio of W+ to W- bosons? What does this ratio tell us about protons?
Good advice with a CERN slant:
Contact: Ken Cecire
Return to Project Map
Return to Videoconferences page