Review: Intro to Standard Model and LHC
Foundational Question: What is the Standard Model?
Describe the Standard Model in brief, simple terms.
Supplementary Activity: Describe the Standard Model through graphs.
Make plots of
A. Masses of fundamental particles as a function of year of discovery.
B. Masses of fundamental particles as a function of their lifetimes.
- Describe the difference between a lepton collider (like LEP) and a hadron collider (like the LHC).
- Describe how particles are accelerated in an accelerator.
- Describe the design of a particle detector (like DELPHI or CMS) in a collider experiment.
Resources from CERN:
- Accelerator Complex
- How a detector works
- Large Electron Positron collider
- Large Hadron Collider
- CMS detector animation
- Geometry of a Collider Detector
- LHC - How it works (video)
- Particle decays in DELPHI (screencast)
Hoiw to Report
Each group has a public Google slides presentation: