Do Performance Plots Reliably Indicate the Blessability of Data?
The purpose of this activity is to provide students with some experience interpreting performance plots and blessing plots. I would assign this activity after students have performed an experiment or two using either data already uploaded by someone else or, if possible, new data taken here with a detector.
1) Show students a performance plot; observe the axis labels and discuss the physical meaning; predict the difference between performance plots from detectors that performed steadily and those that did not.
2) Show students a blessing plot; observe the axis labels and discuss the physical meaning; what does the plot say about how the detector performed?
3) Ask students to propose a way to answer the experimental question; then, provide assistance as needed with navigating around the e-lab site and manipulating the plots for comparison.
4) Conclusion should answer the experimental question in the format: Claim; Evidence; Reasoning
5) Students should create and upload a poster detailing their work and their conclusion.
Here is the link to the poster (thank you for the instructions, Ken!):
I would show that poster to the students only if theirs was waaaay better! It pleases me greatly when they surpass me!