Cosmic Ray Studies Library
Submitted by Sudha
on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:55
1. Set up your RPi.
- Plug in power source, monitor with HDMI input, keyboard, and mouse. If you don't have a HDMI monitor, contact us.
- Micro SD card with NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software). Information on NOOBS and on how to format your micro SD is at https://raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/noobs.md . Here's the link to download NOOBS, (do not choose NOOBS Lite): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/ .
- Connect your keyboard, mouse and hdmi monitor to the Raspberry Pi. Plug in the 5 v micro-USB power supply to start it up.
- Choose Raspbian, US English, and US keyboard, and Install-Confirm. Installation will begin; it takes some time. There is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. When it finishes, you should see a message indicating that the OS was installed successfully.
- To change some configurations, open the terminal window and type at command line: sudo raspi-config. i.) The default username is pi, and the default password is raspberry. You should change the password by choosing 'Change User Password' option. ii.) By default, ssh is enabled. Choose 'Advanced Options' ->ssh->Disable. iii.) No need to Expand Filesystem if you used NOOBS. iv.) Choose 'Boot Options and then choose if you want to boot to the console or the desktop and whether you want to require login when you boot up your Pi. Hit 'Finish'.
- If you boot to the command window, type startx at the command line to go to the Desktop. If you ever want to get out of the Desktop, click the 'Logout' button in the bottom right corner.
2. Install EQUIP on the RPi.
- Download the EQUIP folder from www.i2u2.org->Library->Resources->EQUIP java interface.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 from EQUIP's README.txt:
1 - You already extracted all the files from EQUIP_date.zip
2 - Use this folder or move somewhere else in your computer. You need to check that all these files have been extracted:
librxtxSerial.jnilib (only needed for Windows)
rxtxSerial.dll (only needed for Windows)
- Skip steps 3 and 4 from EQUIP's README.txt.
- Instead, do this: Give yourself a network connection (wireless or wired). Then, type: sudo apt-get install librxtx-java (a Java cross platform wrapper library for the serial port).
- In step 5, type this: java -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni -cp /usr/share/java/RXTXcomm.jar -jar EQUIP_18JUL2014.jar
Note: Newer Raspbian images ship with Oracle Java by default. Check if you have Java installed by typing: java -version. If you don't have it, install it by typing: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-jdk