Danielle's LIGO Workspace
Hello World! Questions from the powers that be on seismology:
- What are the types of seismic waves? How are they different from one another?
s-waves or shear waves (transverse!!!)
p-waves or pressure waves (longitudinal!!!)
- How do the various types of seismic waves propagate through the earth?
Didn't I just answer that?
- Why are seismic waves important to LIGO?
LIGO is sensitive to vibration. If seismic waves pass through the earth, it will move the beams. This can stretch one arm of the interferometer and create a signal,
- What are sources of seismic waves?
Motion of the plates - see cookie-techtonics for more information:
- How are seismic waves measured?
What is spacetime?
- What are gravitiational waves?
- Why do we seek to detect gravitational waves?
- What are the sources of gravitational waves?