U of M Virtual Summer Workshop - July 2020
July 13-15, 2020 (Mornings)
Small URL for this page: https://tinyurl.com/mnqn2020
Meet Online - Zoom Link:
Get password from email
Monday, July 13
08:30 Opening Activities (Shane & Jon)
- Welcome, Introductions (if new teachers are present)
- Whip Around - "How are you doing?"
- Distance Learning in 2020: Successes/Concerns?
(Gather any ideas for share-a-thon on Wednesday focusing on distance learning)
09:15 STEP UP Program (Shane & Mike Wadness)
- Introduction to the program & partnership with QuarkNet
- STEP UP materials & QuarkNet STEP UP materials
09:45 SHORT BREAK
09:50 QuarkNet STEP UP Activity: Changing the Culture (Mike Wadness & Shane)
- PPT Slides: Changing the Culture for teacher workshop - outline activities
- Debrief with your "teacher hat"
- Do the teacher activity
- Do student activity with your "student hat"
- Poster: Guidelines for Conduct During Discussions
- (1) Discussion Guidelines Student Page
- (2) Everyday Actions Teacher Questions
- Every day actions Google form (click here for link)
- Padlet - This is where break-out groups keep notes!
11:00 QuarkNet STEP UP Activity: Careers in Physics (Shane & Mike Wadness)
|Tasks for this lesson|
|Task 1 (Student Hat): Pre-Lesson Brainstorm
What careers can you pursue with a bachelor's degree in physics?
Task 2 (Student Hat): Exploring Careers
Task 3 (Teacher Hat): Personal Career Profile
Task 4 (Teacher Hat): Teacher Reflection
Answer the following in your break-out groups; record responses on the padlet wall.
~12:00 End of Day 1 - Homework for tomorrow
Tuesday, July 14
08:30 Opening Activity
- Morning reflection & housekeeping including STEP UP sign-in
- Ideas for tomorrow's share-a-thon - distance learning successes?
- Why STEP UP - Mike Wadness
09:00 QuarkNet STEP UP Activity: Women in Physics Tasks 1-2 (Shane & Mike Wadness)
- Go over homework: Teacher Notes Task 1 (15'), see slides
- Teacher Notes Task 2, Item 1 (Data on International Women in Physics) from from Women in Physics student group tasks page (15')
- Teacher Notes Task 2, Item 3 (Data on Undergraduate Women in STEM Fields in US) from Women in Physics student group tasks page (10')
- Teacher Notes Task 2, Item 4 (Data on Undergraduate Women in STEM Fields in US) from Women in Physics student group tasks page (15')
- Tour of other itmes (2, 5-6) from Women in Physics student group tasks page (5')
10:00 BREAK & do first two bullets of next item
10:20 QuarkNet STEP UP Activity: Women in Physics Task 3 (Mike Wadness & Shane)
- Read the teacher pages for task 3 (during break)
- Personal reflection writing prompt (during break)
- Who do you feel comfortable working with in class? • Do you feel more comfortable in any particular class? • Have you felt your abilities were questioned? • Have you seen or experienced gender biases in your own life, either purposeful or unintentional?
- Break into groups and discuss experiences. (~15')
- Whole group discussion
- As a whole group, discuss options for implementation using your "teacher hat."
- QuarkNet STEP UP Survey
11:15 SHORT BREAK
11:20 End of Day
- Housekeeping items
- QuarkNet accounts
- Friday Flyer?
- Tomorrow: Prepare for Share-A-Thon
~12:00 - End for the day
Wednesday, July 15
08:30 Opening Activity
- Reflect on yesterday's activities. Any questions?
08:45 Try new activity: NOvA Detector Neutrino Oscillations (Greg)
- Greg Pawloski, mentor
- Slides with description
- NOvA Near Detector Event Displays
- NOvA Far Detector Event Displays
- Short break
10:00 Share-a-thon (link here)
- A few volunteers share ideas/strategies for distance learning
- Short break
11:00 Ending activities (Shane)
- Implementation plan
- Planning: In-person or virtual meeting during the 2020-2021 school year??