University of Oklahoma QuarkNet Center
Submitted by kcecire
on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 09:08
Oklahoma QuarkNet teachers and physicists working together.
Summer Workshop 2023 at OU
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Oklahoma, July 24-26, 2023
Small URL for this page: http://cern.ch/ouqn2023.
Tentative Agenda - Under Construction!
Before you come:
Oklahoma QuarkNet - 2022 Annual Report
After a hiatus in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic, Masterclasses were back in 2022. This spring OSU held two ATLAS Masterclasses, March 24 and April 30, with participants from three schools. (And we have four events planned for 2023!).
Oklahoma QuarkNet - Annual Report 2021
The University of Oklahoma (OU) and Oklahoma State University (OSU) QuarkNet groups again joined forces for a lively summer QuarkNet Teacher Workshop. This year's workshop was hosted at OU from July 20-22. After a virtual workshop in 2020, it was great to see some familiar faces IN PERSON, and to meet some new QuarkNet participants! We were joined by 5 teachers, 3 of whom were new to QuarkNet, providing a nice balance of experience and enthusiasm. The teachers represented 5 different area high schools, including urban and rural, pub
2021 ATLAS Data Workshop at OU
July 20-22, 2021
University of Oklahoma, Building: Lin Hall, Room: 225
Tiny URL for this page: https://tinyurl.com/okqn2021
Participating teachers will:
Oklahoma QuarkNet - 2020 Annual Report
2020 QuarkNet Workshop - OSU
July 29-31, 2020
Small URL for this page: https://tinyurl.com/qn2020
Meet Online - Zoom Link:
OU+OSU QuarkNet Annual Report
The University of Oklahoma (OU) and Oklahoma State University (OSU) held a joint 3 day Quarknet workshop at OU on July 17-19, 2019 with eight teachers attending. All teachers had attended at least one previous workshop. The agenda was billed as
1) Day 1, The Past: We discussed subjects from previous workshops including the use of cosmic ray detectors, Quarknet material in the classroom, and an update on new developments in particle physics. Mike Strauss from OU ran the session.
2017 CMS e-Lab Workshop @ OU
July 12-14, 2017
Nielsen Hall Room 203
Participating teaches will be able to:
- Identify particles colliding and emerging from collisions at the LHC from CMS data.
- Interpret the physical meaning of plots created from CMS data in light of conservation rules (energy, momentum, charge).
- Ask and answer questions about the physics of high energy collisions using CMS data.
We will also provide opportunities to engage in critical dialogue among teaching colleagues about what they learn in the workshop.
Wednesday July 12
09:00 Morning Activities
CMS e-Lab Workshop Begins - After lunch
13:00 CMS e-Lab registration
13:30 CMS e-Lab worksop:
13:45 Data Portfolio Activity:
14:30 Level 1 Data Portfolio Activity:
15:40 Level 1 Data Portfolio Activity:
16:10 Reflection and
16:30 End of Day
Friday July 14
09:00 Morning Discussion,
11:00 Poster Presentations (begin)
13:00 Poster Presentations (finish)
14:00 Using e-Lab teacher pages
14:30 Implementation Discussion
15:00 Implementation survey
15:30 CMS e-Lab Workshop evaluation
Thursday July 13
09:00 Morning Discussion,
09:15 Level 1 Data Portfolio Activity:
11:00 Level 2 Data Portfolio Activity:
13:00 Introducation to CMS e-Lab
14:00 Research/poster work time
16:00 End of Day Discussion;
16:30 End of Day
- Michael Strauss, OU Mentor
- Shane Wood, QuarkNet National Staff
2014 Annual Report - Oklahoma
- an overview of the experimental high energy physics program
- an introduction to the Higgs boson and how it was discovered
- an introduction to Symmersymmetry
- neutrinos and their crazy ways.
ATLAS Data Workshop in Oklahoma
Tiny URL for this page: http://tinyurl.com/qnatlas-ok14.
- gain knowledge and skills to successfully complete investigations using LHC data;
- interpret event displays from ATLAS and explain their meaning;
- conduct LHC investigations with students and successfully prepare them for masterclass; and
- assist mentors in organizing and facilitating a masterclass.
Thursday 19 June 2014
09:30 Presentation: LHC and particle physics
10:30 QuarkNet Classroom Activities:
14:00 QuarkNet Classroom Activities:
16:00 End of day
Friday 20 June 2014
09:00 Virtual visit prep
09:30 Virtual Visit
10:00 Review so far, going forward
11:00 ATLAS Z-path Measurement , part 1
14:00 ATLAS Z-path Measurement, part 2
15:30 Follow-on to Masterclass
16:00 Classroom plans and reflections
16:15 ATLAS Data Workshop wrap-up
16:30 End of workshop
- Preflight checklist for center leaders
- International Masterclasses
- Masterclass Library
- Symphony of Science
- ATLAS Boogie