UW Summer Cosmic Ray workshops
This is a three day workshop for high school teachers and students during which they receive training in the use of QuarkNet's cosmic ray muon detector (CRMD), eLab and LHC master class. The eLab provides an online environment in which students, working in a research group, experience the environment of scientific collaborations in a series of investigations into high-energy cosmic rays.
- 2013 Aug 5 to Aug 9 - Max's blog.
- 2014 July 30 to Aug 1
- 2014 Oct 8 - International Cosmic Day
- 2015 Aug 17 ~ Aug 19
- 2016 Aug 15 ~ Aug 17
- Cosmic Ray Muon Detector manual [pdf] by Chunyang Ding
Mentor: Prof. Shih-Chieh Hsu <firstname.lastname@example.org>UW QUarkNet Lead Teacher: Rose Emanuel <email@example.com>UW QuarkNet Staff: Mark Adams <firstname.lastname@example.org>Technical Support: Steve StrauszUW QuarkNet Fellow: David Trapp <email@example.com>
- Galactic and Extra-Galactic Cosmic Rays: Ground Based Air Shower Experiments
- Jeff Wilkes' talk on 8-5-2013
- Studying the Universe using Gamma Rays
- Toby Burnett's talk on 8-5-2013
- VIDEO: Ring of Truth- Phillip Morrison (PBS)- Morrison's 1987 PBS series, THE RING OF TRUTH, where in the episode "Mapping" he drives along a longitude line from border to border, demonstrating *pre-modern navigation* using Eratosthenes’ method to find latitudes, and Cassini’s tables of Jupiter’s moons to find longitude.
- Compton Cosmic Ray Studies with Electroscopes -Arthur H. Compton's organization of expeditions in the early 1930s to measure cosmic ray fluxes with uniform instrumentation (electroscopes) at many sites in the US and around the world. This article details his journeys.
- Chunyang Ding's muon text book - hands-on experiments for the CRMD