How to ...
Submitted by eperonja
on Monday, June 3, 2013 - 11:54
Steps to create different things in Drupal
Here's how to upload an image for your group.
1. Go to MY STUFF -> MY GROUPS in the main navigation bar.
2. Click on the group that needs an image.
3. Click 'Edit' tab in the upper left hand corner, and scroll down to 'Image' section. Then click 'Choose File'.
4. Choose your image, and click 'UPLOAD' and 'SAVE'.
Go to GROUPS -> ALL GROUPS in main menu.
Then, search for the group you would like to join.
Go to the group's page, and email one of the people listed in the Group Contacts box at the top of the right hand side.
If the above fails, contact a staff member.
It is not hard to perform a search in the QuarkNet site if one knows where to look.
If looking for a QuarkNet center or other group, please consult the article How to find a QuarkNet center group.
If looking for a QuarkNet member or another topic, use the search boxes:
- For a person, type in the name, username, or e-mail address in the 'Search Users' box.
- For a topic in a group you belong to, go to My groups under My Stuff, and use the 'Search' textbox.
- For a topic outside the group, type it in the 'Search Site Content' box.
In 'Search Site Content', a well-known topic like 'proton' yields many results. Something more elusive may yield only one or tow hits - or none. Here is what happens when we search on 'color change':
OK, now that we've used "color charge" in this article, we'll probably get one more hit. Note that if you want to search on something else, there is a search box just above your results.
- Log into the QuarkNet site
- Select Groups under Community
- Select Filter (small blue link just under the red Groups heading). A text box appears under Group Title.
- Type in one of the words in the name (if you type Kansas, you can choose University of Kansas or Kansas State, for example)
- Choose Apply
- Choose the center you want from the list that appears.
- To see the whole list, type Center in the filter and apply.
- To arrange alphabetically, click the little arrow next to Title in the list header.
H/T: Marge Bardeen.
There are four basic user roles. Let's look at each of them.
- Site Admin: This role is pretty much reserved for QuarkNet staff. A site admin can write and edit in any part of the QuarkNet site and can add and delete users as well as set their level of use.
- Center Admin: A Center Admin is a mentor or a teacher who takes a leadership role at a center. A Center Admin can add an exisiting user to his or her center group and can add, delete, and edit content within that group.
- Teacher: Most users are in the Teacher role. Teachers can add, delete, and edit content within a group to which they belong. Generally, this is their center group but they may also belong to other pupose-based groups (e.g. LHC Fellows).
- Non-Teacher: This is actually similar to a teacher account but is reserved for people who need access but do not teacher, e.g. evaluators.
If you are logged into the QuarkNet site, look for the 'Search Site Content' box. Type "Flyer" into the space, and press enter.
Read: Handout on QuarkNet Accounts.
What the QuarkNet site is:
- Informative QuarkNet front page - https://quarknet.org
- Place for the Data Portfolio
- QuarkNet member database
- Collection of sub-sites, called groups, for centers, fellows, special interests and projects
- Collection of web pages of various kinds; the most common are called documents - not to be confused with Word docs, Google docs, etc. - and most organized to belong to groups
- A place to upload files
- Members only for adding content
What the QuarkNet site is not:
- QuarkNet e-Labs
- Anything else not described above
This is part of what the QuarkNet site is and | this is not the QuarkNet site.
We shall consider the special interest group. One may want to add menu items or rearrange the exisiting menu. To edit these pages, one needs to be logged into the QuarkNet website and have membership in the group. If the user does not have a login, know the credentials, or have a group membership, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let's start at the group's home page.
1. Click the Edit tab (circled in aqua).
2. Enable a menu for that group, and click SAVE down at the bottom.
3. Back on the group's home page, click the Group tab (circled in aqua).
4. Click Menus.
- Log into the QuarkNet website.
- Go to your center QuarkNet group.
- Go to the "Add Content" box in the right sidebar, and find "Abstract" or "Annual Report". Choose one of these.
- Type in a title.
- Type in or copy and paste your abstract or report. If you prefer to upload it, go to the section called 'Files'. Click BROWSE -> 'Choose file' -> Choose -> UPLOAD -> NEXT.
- IMPORTANT: In the 'Groups audience' section, choose from the 'Your groups' drop down menu. If your group is not there, fill in the 'Other groups' box.
- SAVE, and you're done!